Sunday, April 15, 2012

Satyamev Jayate – Truly honoured to be part of this connection


It’s almost 2am. I am supposed to submit a research paper-draft to one of my colleagues tomorrow; and so far, I have prepared only a rough version. I need to and I really want to work on it. But, something happened this evening and my mind has been completely occupied since then. One of my friends had sent me a youtube link of the theme song of Aamir Khan’s Satyamev Jayate in the afternoon. I did not pay much attention to it then, as I was analyzing data. But, in the evening I watched it in a complete isolation at home and went through something inexplicable. Even after the video was over, I remained motionless for a few moments, and then tears started blurring my vision. I am not the kind of guy who cries easily. Now that I have resettled, in order to make sense of the turmoil in my mind, I am writing this article. 

Prasoon Joshi, you are one of the most gifted people on this planet. You have found words to express something that people like me have always struggled with expressing. In fact you not only touch the depth, but you also cover the entire construct of being in love with the collective conscience of fellow countrymen.  The beauty is that you have addressed the song saying “Tu” (meaning ‘you’), and that’s sufficient for conveying the meaning. It is a personal conversation between ‘you’ and ‘me’, underscoring the closeness of the relationship. You had done this earlier in the song “Maa” from Taare Zameen Par, and the magic is working here as well. 

The common mistake that I make at times in wishing very best for India is that I want India to look great so that I can call myself a proud Indian. In this case, I am waiting for the collective conscience to do a more positive posturing, while I sit back and relax. I forget to check that if I am not contributing positively, am I eligible to be part of this collective conscience? What is my contribution? I have only remained insignificant for most parts. Nevertheless, India does not kick me out from its collective conscience. The belongingness for me is unconditional. Even if I change passports, my soul is always networked to that collective-soul. Of course, there are some fault-lines and challenges associated with this connection. But, those things are absolutely nothing as compared to the warmth that this connection provides. I am indeed honoured to take the responsibility for bridging those fault-lines. Yes, this demands self-purification, which is painful, but I am highly obliged by and grateful for that connection. This central idea of being humble and striving to be worthy of this unconditional   connection redefines patriotism in current times.  

Ram Sampath, this composition of yours is right on the cards for becoming not only a commercial, but an emotional super hit as well. With a marvellous mixture of a catchy tune with moments of percussion-less rhythm, it will definitely capture imaginations of everyone from children to old age people. Fusion of soft rock with a shade of Sufi, usage of guitars with Rajasthani morchang, very well represent the sound of modern diverse India. 

Lastly, Aamir, I cannot thank you and your creative team enough for providing such precious visuals. I have always wondered – there are innumerable divisive forces in India (e.g., caste, religion, language, regionalism, class, gender and so on), but what are the cohesive forces? How is India maintaining social cohesion? This video answers this big question in less than 5mins. 

This video has fuelled in me the desire for making myself worthy of the incredible connection with the collective conscience of fellow human beings; and has reminded me that as along as my commitment is true, I am guaranteed succeed – “Satyamev Jayate”.



   Composer: Ram Sampath
   Lyricist: Prasoon Joshi
   Singers: Keerthi Sagathia and Ram Sampath
   Production House: Aamir Khan Productions Pvt.Ltd.                                            
   Music: T-Series



4 comments:

  1. Very well said kathan..
    this video says and express feelings what we can not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaydeep for reflecting... Do pass it on :)

      Delete
  2. I like your article more than the song. I can honestly say that I would have not heard the song if I had not read your article. I can't believe the drastic change in your writing style.

    And I can never figure out how I can publish my comment with my name??????

    Ritika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers like you are the secret of improved writing, Ritika :)You have been truly a motivating friend. - I'm honoured

      And I think you need to sign-in to google to post comment with your name.

      Delete